Eleven Pitch Class Analysis is the companion website to Composition, Chromaticism and the Developmental Process: A New Theory of Tonality.* In light of the fact that the site is, at present, a work in progress, our intention is to include the following resources for both students and educators:
- General Information regarding the overall structure of the theory
- A summary of the theory as outlined in the handbook
- An extensive catalog of works in pdf format which analyze many musical works using the theories basic precepts
- Tips for presenting Systems Analysis
- A collection of supplemental studies submitted by a number of independent theorists who incorporate the theories’ principles
- Finally, a comprehensive library of audio files containing many of Professor Burnett’s original lectures which were recorded over the course of 4 years.
Please note: Although the materials contained in this website will assume a certain level of familiarity with music theory, we still encourage the reader to explore the many facets of this theory as it pertains to the great body of Western Music in the hope that a fuller understanding of the composer’s compositional process will be revealed. The depth and breadth of this theory is substantial but we believe that it’s fundamental principles will serve to enhance the musical experience of almost any musician. In order to begin your journey of discovery, we suggest that you begin HERE for a detailed explication of the essential precepts of the theory.
- The book has now been recently released in a PAPERBACK EDITION. Get a personal copy HERE